Tuesday, 23 October 2012
This post brought to you by Avocados from Mexico. All opinions are 100% mine.
Halloween is right around the corner! Are you ready? Party planners everywhere are gearing up for this spooky night and taking to Pinterest to find the best ideas for decor and treats!
Thanks to Avocados from Mexico, you can have a little more fun with your Pinterest board and take part in their Pin to Win contest! You can win one of 10 $100 gift cards just by having fun on Pinterest! As long you include 3 pins from the Avocados from Mexico website, you are good to go!
Not quite sure what they mean? Well here's a Ghoulishly Green Halloween board example that you can use to help build your own! We created one over on editor Mandi's Pinterest! She's added several pins from just browsing Pinterest, and several from the website for Avocados from Mexico.
Don't you think you can actually USE avocados in Halloween recipes? Wrong! Check out these avocado CUPCAKES!
7 oz AP Flour (1.5 cups)
3 tbsp Cornmeal
1/4 tsp Allspice
3/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Buttermilk (We only had low fat)
4 oz Avocado ripe and cut into small chunks (About a cup)
4 oz Unsalted Butter
8 oz Sugar (1 cup)
Cream Cheese Frosting
16 oz Cream Cheese (8 oz lower fat, 8 oz full fat)
3 oz Unsalted Butter
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
16 oz Confectioners Sugar
Preparation:1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a cupcake pan with non stick spray and line with paper cupcake liners
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, allspice and nutmeg. Whisk for 10 seconds to blend. (IF using nuts, reserve about 2 tbsp dry mixture to coat nuts in)
3. Stir baking soda into the buttermilk. Add pieces of avocado
4. Cream together butter and sugar on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and add eggs one at a time, letting the first one fully incorporate before the second.
5. Alternately add the dry and wet mixtures in about 4 additions each.
6. Stop mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Make sure there are no clumps at the bottom of the bowl. Mix on medium speed for 15 seconds.
7. Using an ice cream scoop, deposit batter into each tray. Bake 18-24 minutes, or until tops are golden-green and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting:
9. Place cream cheese in bowl of a standing mixer and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add butter and continue beating until fully combined and smooth. Add vanilla.
10. Turn mixer to lowest speed and add sugar by the spoonful. After the last addition, return mixer to medium speed and allow frosting to fully combine. Scrape sides of bowl to assure no clumps. Use this frosting immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge. There will be extra.
If you look below in our image gallery, we've included several of the pins from our "Ghouliciously Green Halloween" Pinterest board. We'll be adding some more food, decorations, and costume ideas before Halloween so be sure to follow us!
If you need more fun ways to Green your Halloween, check out Green Halloween!