Tuesday, 10 January 2012
This is a guest post from Jenna at For The Love of Baby!
Tuesday, January 3rd, we just expected our typical run to the OB appt and it would be over and back on our way home-I actually tried convincing Steven to just let me re-schedule the appt. as I didn’t really have the energy to drive the hour down for a five minute appointment-the joys of the end of a multiples pregnancy. I wanted to nap and have energy to participate in the caucus.
The week prior, I had to be put on the NST monitors. They had also did a Fetal Fibronectin test. I didn’t find out the results of that until Tuesday night, which was negative. Well, that was wrong.
At the OB appointment, we were sent to be put on the NST monitors again as Lucas’ heart was a little fast. After a few, it was obvious there was “Uterine activity” or contractions and I was quickly sent off to Maternity Triage and Treatment Unit. The monitors were quickly picking up very small contractions about every two minutes. They really did not feel like anything to me except maybe a baby moving against me just right. One Terbutaline injection down-instead of a stop in contractions, I instead began feeling contractions-in my back. At that point, I knew something was happening. Another terbutaline injection and Procardia-things calmed down but came back within an hour or so again. I was told that if it was true labor, it wasn’t going to stop. We went ahead with a steroid injection for the twins’ lungs, with another to come in the morning. At this point, I had to turn to my humor and make jokes about missing the Iowa caucus and not getting to vote.
Yup, I was stuck in the hospital. We didn’t have our hospital bags, Aubrey was with us, and home? An hour away. We were not prepared for an OB visit to turn in to an admit and what was quickly becoming labor. My mom made her way up to get Aubrey (she was pumped for a Grandma night!), and with the help of some friends (You all are amazing) Steven was able to get home and get things we’d need while our good friend Jonesy came to keep me company until he was able to get back to the hospital.
After LOTS of pain and more procardia, I had dilated to a 4 and about 50% effaced. They finally decided to send me to labor and delivery. At this point, I didn’t care as the pain had gotten out of hand and I was told I’d still have to wait. (So I’m in labor, BACK LABOR, laying on my back to be monitored but I just need to fight through the pain and sleep? HA!)
As the new doctor came on in the morning, the demeanor changed. I was in labor, it was time to decide the best plan of action to make sure these little guys came as healthy as possible. The doctor ordered an ultrasound and once we knew the boys were looking okay, it was time for labor.Read the rest of Part I HERE at For The Love of Baby!