Saturday, 06 March 2010
One of my doula friends gave me this recipe when I was having supply issues. It really does help with your milk supply, plus they are really YUMMY!! They aren't strictly for women who are nursing, anyone can enjoy them, they just have extra ingredients which encourage milk supply.
The ingredients that help with milk supply are oatmeal, brewers yeast and flaxseed meal so make sure not to substitute those for anything else!
This recipe makes a ton of cookies. Last time I made it I had a little over 6 dozen. I made them for my sister-in-law who is due any day with baby number 2. It was a great activity to get her 3 year old son involved in as well.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Lactation Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips
2-4 tablespoons brewer's yeast
Preheat oven to 350°.
1. Mix the flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
2. Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar well.
3. Add eggs and mix well.
4. Add flaxseed mix and vanilla; beat well.
5. Sift together flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt.
6. Add dry ingredients to butter mix.
7. Stir in oats and chips.
8. Scoop onto baking sheet.
9. Bake for 12 minutes.
10. Let set for a couple minutes then remove from tray
Have you ever tried lactation cookies before? What other foods/products have helped you to increase your milk supply?