Thursday, 17 December 2009
A couple of days ago I posted “Which Holiday Plants are Dangerous or Safe?”. I got a lot of great comments from the readers out there and just wanted to do a quick update since my information on Poinsettias was not exactly thorough. Also, thank you to all who commented and helped me to understand the dangers behind this plant and sorry for any confusion! Honestly, the last thing I want to do is give incorrect information especially where safety is concerned!
Ok, so Poinsettias may not be poisonous to humans but they are poisonous to pets. If a pet digests this plant they will experience stomach irritation which will likely lead to vomiting. Not a fun holiday if this happens!
LadyGwenivere@xanga informed me that poinsettias “CAN be dangerous if the person/child/pet is allergic to the white liquid that you see when you break off a piece of the plant. I know this because I am allergic to it. If it gets on my skin I break out in hives and get severe headaches. If I were to somehow ingest it, it could be deadly. (this was learned from a trip to the ER one day while working as assistant manager of a floral department in a grocery store 4 Christmases ago, not fun).”
So that is the deal on poinsettias. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. Try to not eat any plants! Oh, and don’t let the kids or pets eat any either if you can help it .
Thanks again to all of the vigilant Momaroo readers who helped me bring this new and updated information to the rest of you.
Do you have any other holiday safety tips to share?