Friday, 07 November 2008
Guest post submitted by La_dolce_vida
Women often grumble and complain that boys/men drive them crazy and there are countless articles putting men down because they're inept at this and that. But I want to take this opportunity to say that a man's worth is immeasurable.
As a child protective services social worker, I've interviewed roughly 720 children to date and out of those 720, about half come from single mother homes. Most have neither never met their father nor see them often. Most of these kids are maladjusted. The boys grow up to be gangsters and the girls grow up getting involved in bad relationships and end up getting pregnant young.
I want to speak on behalf of these children and give you guys this message:
- Your role in your child(ren) or future child(ren) is of utmost importance
- Not only are you Mr. Fix-it but you are your child's superhero
- Your child looks forward to you teaching them about life
- Your child doesn't want to think that he/she was the reason why you left their mother
- The value that you add to your child's life by being involved is immense
- Your child wants to be able to go to school to tell their friends the fun times they had with you instead of saying they never see you
- Just because you're no longer with their mother, it doesn't mean you should stop being their father
- Your child loves it when you spend time with them
- Your child wants to grow up one day to be just like you, so set a good example
- You are your child's protector, against monsters under the bed and the Boogeyman
- You are also the one who sits by the door with a shotgun when your daughter goes on her first date
- Your child wants to hear you say "Attaboy!" after he's scored his first goal or hit his first home run
I know that most of you don't have children and are probably are not going to anytime soon but please think about how your role affects children's lives. If you are going to have children, make sure you are with the right person so that single mother families don't multiply. If you don't intend to have children, please use a condom! There is no need for "oopsies"!
I honestly never realized how important the role of men in life really is until I've talked to these children. Men, know that you are revered in children's eyes. Know that you and you alone could affect our future president, teachers, doctors, etc.!
How important do you think a father's role is in the life of a child?